It’s not always easy to maintain a positive attitude. Excluding Annie and Pollyanna, most of us are pretty familiar with doubt and despair.
Let’s face it, when it feels like the world is crushing us under its heel, it’s tempting to brood and wallow.
But optimism is always an option, and maintaining it through even the worst of times is a sign of remarkable courage. So be courageous! Choose the rosy-hued outlook, the silver lining — look for the light in the darkness.
Here are some words to inspire you:
15. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
14. “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” – Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
13. “Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” – Mahatma Gandhi
12. “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
11. “Keep the faith. The heart and the thoughts fade.” – Pearl Jam
10. “Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us.” – Stephen Colbert
9. “I’m not just an optimist. I am an opti-mystic who sees the world through the eyes of possibility.” – Anonymous
8. “Such is the influence which the condition of our own thoughts, exercises, even over the appearance of external objects. Men who look on nature, and their fellow-men, and cry that all is dark and gloomy, are in the right; but the sombre colours are reflections from their own jaundiced eyes and hearts. The real hues are delicate, and need a clearer vision.” – Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist
7. “If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve.” – Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
6. “This too shall pass.”
5. “I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.” – Winston Churchill
4. “What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven’t happened yet.”
3. “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Dumbledore.
2. “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt
1. “Optimism is a form of courage.”
Any other favorites quotes that inspire optimism?