Facebook kinda sucks. Don’t get me wrong — it’s awesome for keeping in touch with long-lost friends and family members. Annnnnd that’s about the extent of its positive qualities (IMO).
Like me, lots of you probably have a love-hate relationship with the social media megalodon. It makes you feel like crap, it wastes your time, it keeps you sitting at your computer when you should be out getting fresh air and vitamin D, and yet, you just CAN’T QUIT IT.
I know, I know.
But the Greater Good Science Center (who I just adore) offers a list of scientific findings that might make you rethink your Facebook addiction once and for all. They include:
- Facebook might make you more dissatisfied with your life (an influence none of us need).
- It can make you look narcissistic to others.
- Negativity via Facebook turns people off.
- Even if you try to craft your image, your profile is actually a pretty good gauge of who you really are (including your anxieties).
- Comparing yourself to friends via Facebook deals HUGE blows to happiness (yet that’s pretty much what most people are doing on Facebook 90% of the time).
Check out the GGSC’s piece to learn even more about everything that’s wrong with Facebook (and some semi-positive stuff about the network, too).
My opinion? If you wanna be happy, keep the social media to a minimum. Small doses, you guys. <3